A wintry surprise

We awoke to a rare sight here in southern Arkansas--it snowed overnight, and we ended up with about an inch of snow on the ground! Hardly seems noticeable, given where I have spent most of my years, but it is quite an event here in the usually balmy south.


The kids got to play in the snow for a while this morning, but I'm sure that it will be almost completely gone by this evening.
I just returned from a meeting at a location just northeast of Atlanta, Georgia. We were worried about my return from this meeting, because a wintry mix was sweeping across the south during the time I was to depart. However, aside from a little sleet, snow, and freezing rain, I had no problems getting back to Little Rock. The meeting was designed to get the Southern Research Station research staff (scientists, mostly) up-to-speed on our recent reorganization. A good chance to network with other scientists, if nothing else...

We have plans for a big Super Bowl party this Sunday at our house. Hope has been planning this one for weeks, and we will be cleaning the house and assembling the food items most of the rest of the weekend. As for my prediction of the outcome (which are usually notoriously bad), I suspect the Colts will win--which probably means the Bears will take it in a blow-out!

Comments

Don L Bragg said…
Hi Don and Hope,

Your snowfall puts you about 3 inches behind our meager wintery cover in northern Wisconsin.

The big sports news today is that Brett Farve will play for the Packers next year!

The worrisome national news is the severe storm damage across central Florida. I haven't been able to make phone contact with your Aunt Loreley who lives about 15 to 20 miles north of the damaged areas seen on todays TV news.

Dad
Anonymous said…
I remember when the kids lived in North Carolina, even an inch of snow would lead to a snow day. They just didn't have the equipment handy and weren't used to it.
Anonymous said…
Hi Don and Hope,

It's been snowy and cold in Ankara, too, but the mountains around the city tend to wring out most of the moisture before it gets here. The next ten days, though, it's supposed to get into the 40s here. The real cold weather is in the Badger state, I hear. They cancelled school earlier this week in Madison because of it -- they almost never cancel school there. I bet Lulu was crushed.

I'm glad Brett is coming back. Ha, ha, Bears ...

JOJO

Popular posts from this blog

New look...and a Valentine's card

Late fall activities