The remodeling never ends...

We are still plugging away at remodeling our Monticello home. Most recently, I replaced the guest room bathroom window to make it more air-tight. The old aluminum-framed window (which we are gradually replacing around the house) was single-paned and drafty--with the bathroom fan on, you could actually feel a cold breeze coming into the house. We are still working on getting more heat into this guestroom area, and this drafty window was a big part of the problem.


We replaced the window with a sliding vinyl clad design that allows us better access to open, and is definitely more air-tight. The picture to the right is the new window, with freshly primed siding around it. It was actually pretty easy to get the window in, once the weather warmed enough...


The old windows are also of a less-than-standard size, making their direct replacement a little challenging. We had planned on reframing the window and redoing the siding on the outside anyhow, but it took a little creativity to get the rest of the window framed in. First, we got a slightly smaller window, so I wouldn't have to do major drywall work on the inside. We filled the gaps with 2x6 and 1x6 boards, then added new siding and window trim. I also trimmed the inside with some nice pine boards and moulding, which you'll have to visit to see...

Anyhow, the new window has been thoroughly caulked and sealed, helping to further reduce air leaks. Yesterday was warm enough to start painting outside, so I primed the new siding. Today I will add the first of what will probably be at least two coats of exterior paint. I also need to touch up some of the paint inside, but this will likely not happen until after we get back from a business trip I have next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New look...and a Valentine's card

Late fall activities