Getting soft...

I can just hear Brother Bill rolling his eyes to what I'm about to say, but back in MY DAY, they wouldn't have cancelled school because it was -20 degrees... In my 6 years at Michigan Tech, I remember only one period when they canceled school because of inclement weather, and that was an afternoon and the following morning when it was -30 or lower with heavy snow and wind. Speaking of cold and snow and MTU, here is a link to their webcams, for which you can see a now snow-filled campus with cold, clear skies (at least as of 4 pm today): http://www.admin.mtu.edu/urel/cams/

They did close school for a day or so here in Monticello around when we got the snow, but it wasn't because of bad road conditions or the cold--too many students and teachers were sick with the flu and other ailments for them to open the schools!! I don't remember them closing the entire school for sickness when I was a kid, but I do remember missing some days with illness. I was actually jealous of the handful of kids that didn't miss any days of class at Pine Lake, because they would get a certificate at the end of the year for their 100% attendence...

Just as a head's-up: we are thinking strongly of coming up to Rhinelander for Easter again this year--I have a talk to give the Monday before in Edwardsville, Illinois (just east of St. Louis), and since this gets us already about half way there... Anyhow, we'll decide for sure if we're doing this real soon, and we'll let y'all know.

P.S. It barely mattered to me at all this weekend who won the Super Bowl--as far as we here at Bragg Family South were concerned, every true Packer fan won with Brett Favre's announcement of his intention to play in 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

Lisa said…
How did Hope's big Super Bowl party go?

I hope you make it to Wisconsin for a visit this Easter! Let us know details when you have a better idea... we'd like to see you too!
Anonymous said…
Well, let's just say that the flu went a long ways towards thinning the crowd...those that showed up had a good time, and we enjoyed entertaining them.

Popular posts from this blog

New look...and a Valentine's card

Late fall activities