Postcards requested

We are sending this request to our friends and family in Michigan, Wisconsin, and any other states...our pharmacist knows a young lady from Louisiana that is trying to get post cards from every state sent to her as part of a 5th grade project. If you get a chance, please try to send this girl a card that has some indication of which state it comes from, and say something like "Greetings from {you} in the state of {whatever state your are in--confusion does NOT count}". Her name and address are:

Emma Dugas
3508 Metairie Ct
Metairie, LA 70002

Metairie is a suburb of New Orleans, and was pretty hard hit by Hurricane Katrina. Please send her a card and let them know that they haven't been forgotten!

Over the last couple weeks I have been working to improve the drainage of our backyard. For an hour or so each evening, I have been digging a trench, sloping the lawn, and hauling wheelbarrows of extra dirt to the back corner of our yard. I first cut a trench down to about the depth needed to drain the yard, and now I'm sloping the banks by shearing the top sod off and removing much of the dirt underneath. This will hopefully provide the needed drainage, while still keeping the ground covered in grass and easy to mow.
This effort has been necessitated by the lack of slope in our yard, which acts somewhat as a collection basis for our yard, and some of our neighbors as well. When we get heavy rain, much of the yard near our patio ponds up, and because of the high clay content in our soil, it takes days for the water to percolate into the soil, which stays soggy for quite a while. The kids get extra muddy, and it is hard to mow the lawn. Hopefully, my efforts will expedite the process of getting excess water off of the yard in the manner that's not too obvious and ugly. I've got about another 10-12 feet to grade out, and then I'll probably add some grass seed to facilitate the process. Hopefully, the work will be smoothly landscaped in before long.

Comments

Anonymous said…
At last: a legitimate excuse for digging a trench in your backyard! I'll have to remember that next time I'm burying a body-- oops!

heh heh
Anonymous said…
By the way, Don: I know you and Hope hate to hear details about a movie you haven't seen, so I won't divulge any details, but I wanted to warn you not to take Kenny to "Bridge to Terabythia" if you think it's going to be a light-hearted fantasy film for kids. I took the kids to it this weekend and both ended up crying. Not to say it's a bad film or horribly violent or anything! It's just not a light-hearted film and unfortunately very little time is spent in the magical land of Terabythia.

Popular posts from this blog

Late fall activities

Happy 4th of July!

It doesn't feel like fall yet...