Big events with Bragg Family South


We are all about big changes this week... The first ones are apparent in the pictures above. We finally got serious looking at finding replacements for our beloved Mooch, who was put down earlier this year following a long illness. After a couple failed attempts at getting cats (don't get us started about that debacle), we finally got a call from a local vet that they had cats to give away (we've brought stray kittens into this vet for years, and she's always found homes for them). We went over to look at them one day this week. The three young kittens she had were REALLY timid and scared around Beth and Stephen, and obviously were a bit on the feral side. However, Judy had some older kittens that were much better around people. The grey tabby on the top is Kenny's cat, a male he named "Draco" (hmmm.... a Harry Potter inspiration, eh?), and the calico on the bottom is Beth's cat, a female she named "Bella". Both cats seem to be adjusting well to their new home, and we're getting used to having kittens again. I have to continually chase them from where they're not supposed to be, and they're learning not to use our furniture as a scratching post... They're typical kittens--rambunctious, noisy, cuddly, occasionally smelly, and getting quite playful with each other (especially since they're not siblings).

The picture above is of a couple wading birds (some type of stork, I believe) we snapped a picture of on Labor Day as we drove around the area. We also drove to a pretty boat launch on an oxbow lake near the Ouachita River:

Our kids love to throw stuff into the water. We were also checking out the area for camping, because our other big news is that we've put a down payment on a 2008 Fleetwood Seapine pop-up trailer. We are buying it from a dealership in Russellville, Arkansas. They had marked down the price considerably because of minor damage caused in a windstorm some months back. It is a new model (fully warranty) that I guess in this economy was just selling slow--the camper seems quite nice, and has one very desirable feature for us here in the South--an air conditioner! Not wanting to try to sleep in a stifling tent when it doesn't get below 80 degrees at night, we simply have avoided any camping down here during the summer. No longer! I'll probably use it to camp at the summer archeology digs, too. Speaking of digging, I went up to Little Rock yesterday to volunteer on that dig again. We found a lot of artifacts, including this large decorated rim sherd:

and a lot of animal bone, probably mostly deer. Here is a part of an antler I spent much of the afternoon uncovering:

I'll probably spent a fair amount of time this fall at this site because they're trying to excavate as much as possible before the landowner develops the property. Well, I gotta run and go work this morning to make up for the time I took off yesterday...

Comments

Anonymous said…
welcome to the family draco and bella!! we're sooo excited and we just LOVE their names!

lulu and mom (grandma)
Anonymous said…
Cute kittens. Draco was also the name of a leader in ancient Athens who enacted `draconian` laws to control the polis. Also, Bella was a lead character in Beauty and the Beast, I think ;)

john
Lisa said…
John, that was Belle... not Bella! Pu-lease!

Popular posts from this blog

New look...and a Valentine's card

Late fall activities