Cleared by my doctor
Yesterday (Friday) the family and I traveled to Pine Bluff to meet with my back surgeon, Dr. P.B. Simpson, to get my 3 week follow-up examination. There are usually long waits at his office, so while I waited, Hope and the kids went to Sears to look at a new kitchen stove we're going to order. Dr. Simpson gave me a clean bill of health, and released me from virtually all of the restrictions I had been on since the surgery (the only one I need to keep is to not lift heavy items for another 4 to 6 weeks). Thus, I will return to work full-time next week, and resume driving and riding in vehicles.
Dr. Simpson explained that the procedure he performed, a modified lumbar laminectomy, was less invasive that traditional laminectomies, and this helps the patient recover faster. I have no doubts about that--prior to my appointment that morning, I walked for 2 miles with no pain or discomfort, and have not had any noticeable problem with my back for a while. I still have a little stiffness, and an occasional twinge if I turn too sharply, but I suspect that these will disappear soon. I really feel like I've gotten much of my life back! Dr. Simpson, though lacking great bedside manner (ask Hope about that) is a highly skilled surgeon, and I am grateful his talents freed me from my back problems.
However, no surgeon can spare one from the ills of winter, and I have caught a cold from the kids. Beth in particular has been miserable the last few nights, between the cold she has and the new teeth coming through (I think she's up to 3 now). Kenny is also sick, but is doing better. After my doctor's appointment, we drove on to Little Rock to do some shopping, and while we were there, it actually snowed fairly heavily upon us. Little Rock got perhaps an inch of snow to stick on lawns and other places--not much by Upper Midwest standards, but enough for a lot of places to close today!! Kenny loved seeing the snow, and started singing some Christmas carols and asking if it was Christmas again...
Dr. Simpson explained that the procedure he performed, a modified lumbar laminectomy, was less invasive that traditional laminectomies, and this helps the patient recover faster. I have no doubts about that--prior to my appointment that morning, I walked for 2 miles with no pain or discomfort, and have not had any noticeable problem with my back for a while. I still have a little stiffness, and an occasional twinge if I turn too sharply, but I suspect that these will disappear soon. I really feel like I've gotten much of my life back! Dr. Simpson, though lacking great bedside manner (ask Hope about that) is a highly skilled surgeon, and I am grateful his talents freed me from my back problems.
However, no surgeon can spare one from the ills of winter, and I have caught a cold from the kids. Beth in particular has been miserable the last few nights, between the cold she has and the new teeth coming through (I think she's up to 3 now). Kenny is also sick, but is doing better. After my doctor's appointment, we drove on to Little Rock to do some shopping, and while we were there, it actually snowed fairly heavily upon us. Little Rock got perhaps an inch of snow to stick on lawns and other places--not much by Upper Midwest standards, but enough for a lot of places to close today!! Kenny loved seeing the snow, and started singing some Christmas carols and asking if it was Christmas again...
Comments