A busy month

It's been almost a month since our last posting--we have been busy, but not with things that were terribly photogenic (that's my way of saying I've been too lazy to update like I should...). Last month, Beth got to ride on the float her elementary school built for the parade associated with the Drew County Fair (it had a construction theme to it...). Shortly afterwards, we made a trip to Hot Springs one weekend so I could give a talk at the Arkansas Archeological Society's annual meeting. While I was in this meeting, Hope took the kids to some stores in Hot Springs to buy some building supplies for our most recent remodeling effort. The Lowe's store they went to had a build your own wooden toy fire truck with the local fire department, which the kids enjoyed:
Last week, Kenny's third grade class got to make a field trip to Toltec Mounds Archeological State Park near Little Rock. You may remember this park--it was where the Arkansas Archeological Society's summer dig was this summer, and I had posted pictures from that dig on this blog. Below, Stephen tries out a skunky hide as a hat:

Kenny and his friends (below) were actually posing for someone else's camera, but I caught him in the act of goofing off:

Here's Kenny's class (his teacher is the woman on the left with sunglasses), posing on a replica dugout cypress canoe at Toltec:

Hope and I went along to help keep an eye on the kids, and we did some shopping in Little Rock as well (we drove our own vehicle up there, while Kenny rode the school bus). That evening, Kenny, Stephen, and I went to a UAM home football game:

UAM played well, but lost in the 4th quarter, a victim of too many penalties and injuries (hmmmm....sounds like the Packers!). Over this last weekend, Hope manned the Monticello Tree Board booth at Monticello's Rhythm and Roots festival:

She was there to answer tree-related questions. While there, the kids played some games and had their faces painted at the next booth over:

Today (Columbus Day), I had the federal holiday off, so we decided to rent a wood splitter and get our firewood supply in order. Below, Hope finishes off our modest stack of wood:

We only need to cut a fraction of the wood most of you Yankees gather because we don't heat most of the house with wood, and the winters are fairly mild here. But it is nice to get a fire going on those chilly nights, so we put up a few cords anyhow. Finally one last picture:

This was from this August, when Hope and the kids stayed in Michigan while I went to Sweden. The kids delighted in catching the little frogs that were abundant around Rick and Ann's house, and this picture had neat perspective to it, so I thought I'd include it. Frogs, beware the sharp eye(s) and quick hands of Beth!

Comments

Lisa said…
That's an awesome photo of Beth holding a frog in her hand! Love it!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Late fall activities

Happy 4th of July!

It doesn't feel like fall yet...