A painful Easter sequel
No, Kenny's not playing around here--that's his set of crutches and a walking inflatable cast (hard to see on his bare foot). Apparently, he was running around in gym class today, and twisted his ankle (it made a "popping" sound, according to Kenny). Hope took him to our doctor, and nothing appeared broken on the x-ray--a bad sprain, I guess. He will not be playing baseball or doing too many other physical activities over the next couple of weeks, but somehow he'll survive...We've actually had a pretty good Easter season, this ankle injury notwithstanding. Below, Beth is lovin' her preschool's Easter egg hunt and party:
Here I am trying to direct Stephen to Easter eggs placed in the lawn of our church (he's reaching for one at his feet):
Hope organized a Cub Scout meeting with an archeology theme this year. Below, University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff station archeology assistant Mary Farmer tries to show the boys how to throw spears (note the deer on the target):
UAM station archeology assistant Jessica Howe also helped with these activities, which included some artifact "screening" and identification. The boys all seemed to enjoy it, and at least some of the parents really got into it...Hope's parents came down for a quick visit right before Easter. Below, Rich Pruden and I went canoeing one day:
Note the large chuck of wood suspended in the branches of the streamside tree in the picture above. This wood was 10-12 feet above the current water level, and hints at how deep the Saline River flowed during our wet fall/winter. The Saturday right before Easter I had to work a few hours to make up for the time I took off on Good Friday for our canoe trip, so Rich and Ann helped Hope and the kids decorate eggs:
The weather was still nice that afternoon, so Rich, Kenny, and I got out the motorboat and boated around a different part of the Saline River. The picture below shows Kenny walking around on one of the gravel bars we stopped at to look for petrified wood and artifacts:
This period was also the beginning of Kenny's Little League season, for which Beth and her stuffed turtle pal Tucker were patient spectators of:
Kenny had a baseball tournament last weekend. I had just returned from a business meeting in Kentucky and then one in Little Rock, so I couldn't make the day-long tournament. Kenny's team did well, and Stephen sure looked the part of a baseball fan:
Last Sunday (the week after Easter), we had another beautiful day, so we decided to make our spring trip to Arkansas Post National Park. Can you spot the 2 gators in the picture below?:
(Hint: on one, you can only see the end of the tail). We try to do this picnic trip at least once a year--it is a really pleasant way to spend some family time without spending a lot of money. Below, Hope tries to convince Stephen to eat his picnic lunch:
Note the large chuck of wood suspended in the branches of the streamside tree in the picture above. This wood was 10-12 feet above the current water level, and hints at how deep the Saline River flowed during our wet fall/winter. The Saturday right before Easter I had to work a few hours to make up for the time I took off on Good Friday for our canoe trip, so Rich and Ann helped Hope and the kids decorate eggs:
The weather was still nice that afternoon, so Rich, Kenny, and I got out the motorboat and boated around a different part of the Saline River. The picture below shows Kenny walking around on one of the gravel bars we stopped at to look for petrified wood and artifacts:
This period was also the beginning of Kenny's Little League season, for which Beth and her stuffed turtle pal Tucker were patient spectators of:
Kenny had a baseball tournament last weekend. I had just returned from a business meeting in Kentucky and then one in Little Rock, so I couldn't make the day-long tournament. Kenny's team did well, and Stephen sure looked the part of a baseball fan:
Last Sunday (the week after Easter), we had another beautiful day, so we decided to make our spring trip to Arkansas Post National Park. Can you spot the 2 gators in the picture below?:
(Hint: on one, you can only see the end of the tail). We try to do this picnic trip at least once a year--it is a really pleasant way to spend some family time without spending a lot of money. Below, Hope tries to convince Stephen to eat his picnic lunch:

Comments