
The woman in the picture above is Cecile Kirby, one of our fellow parishioners at St. Marks here in Monticello, and a displaced Cajun--as you can tell with all her New Orleans Saints finery on! We had our traditional Super Bowl party last Sunday, and given our relative proximity to Louisiana and New Orleans, it was not surprising that we had a few guests with STRONG preferences for the Saints! Below, Cecile dances a little jig after a good Saints play, to the amusement of Charlotte, the wife of
UAM station
archeologist Marvin
Jeter:

Here is a picture of Hope and Stephen enjoying the festivities with Father Philip
Reaves, our pastor. Father Philip attended seminary in New Orleans, so he, too, has a strong Saints preference...

Below, Cecile and an unknown friend share a moment of glee at further Saints success. The
blond-haired boy is Beau
Kuttenkuler, who is tauting his father Scott (unseen, in a chair on the left side of the picture). Scott was somewhat pulling for the Colts, while Beau was cheering for the Saints...

And here's another displaced Cajun and Saints fan, Ray
Mercantel:

Ray is laughing in this picture not because of the Saints doing well (quite the opposite), but he was getting a kick out of teasing Cecile (who took the game very seriously when things weren't going well). The next picture does not do this scene justice--Peyton Manning had just thrown an interception returned for a touchdown with just a few minutes left, basically sealing the win for the Saints:

Cecile was dancing with joy, screaming over the phone to that friend of hers, and off to my left (not in the picture), her husband was also giddy with joy. Beau was likewise dancing (that's his mom Mandy trying to calm him down). I must admit I was pretty happy, too. I didn't have any strong feelings about this game (as the locals say, I didn't have a dog in the hunt), but I preferred the Saints to win (first time in their team's 43 year history) as opposed to the Colts, who won the game just a couple years ago. We had a lot of fun at this year's party--plenty of good food and good company. I didn't actually see that much of the first half of the game, as I was grilling the meat and tending to other party-related chores. I went down our street a few houses during half-time to deliver some of my (in)famous pickled eggs to some other friends who were having their own Super Bowl party. These friends (also fellow Catholics) are from the
Phillipines, and they very frequently host get-
togethers with other
Filipinos in the southeast Arkansas area (a lot of them work in the medical professions), which is what they did for the game. They always have an amazing spread of
Filipino food, which I made sure to sample. I watched the half-time show with them, and the beginning of the third quarter, before returning to our own party. Below, the kids and their friends spent most of their time watching movies on our computer:

Today is cool and sunny--we had our most recent winter storm yesterday, which gave us more rain (yuck!!) in southern Arkansas and a good amount of snow in central and northern Arkansas. Little Rock got something like 6 inches of snow, and places further north got 8-12 inches. We've actually got a chance for frozen precipitation later this week here in southern Arkansas--let's hope it's just cold rain or light snow, not ice!!
Comments